Formerly DCFE - Dún Laoghaire College of Further Education
Tel: +353 1 280 9676 Email: email@example.com
Musical Instrument Making and Repair
One Year Full-time
Level 5 QQI Award Creative Craft (5M1981)
Learners on this course will be introduced to the fundamentals of making and repairing stringed and fretted musical instruments, both acoustic and electric. Learners will make their own musical instrument for example a mandolin or a guitar.They will also learn specialist hand and machine craft skills in order to develop their creative abilities in this area. Learners who have an interest in music will find that they can enhance their skills by learning the rudiments of how instruments are made, stringed and generate sound.
One of the following:
• Leaving Certificate Established/LCVP
• Leaving Certificate Applied
• Relevant Level 4 QQI Award
• Mature applicants are welcome
• Furniture Making
• Computer Aided Draughting
• Safety and Health at Work
• Wood Finishing
• Design Skills
• Combined Materials
• Information Technology
• Work Experience
Safe Pass Certificate
- DFEi is one of the few colleges in Ireland where one can learn the highly specialist craft of making a musical instrument.
- This is a practical course where learning takes place primarily in workshops, which are stocked with specialist craft tools and commercial equipment.
- This course may include visits to auctions, museums and instrument collections to help build up ones knowledge on the development and history of intsruments.
- A Visual Design Exhibition of learner’s work from this course is held annually in DFEi in May, providing an opportunity for learners to showcase the skills and knowledge they have acquired.
DFEi: Graduates may progress to the Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Musical Instrument Making and Repair or Furniture Design and Making at DFEi.
Elsewhere: Graduates may also be eligible to apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to a range of higher certificates and degree programmes, at both, Universities and Institutes of Technology.
Due to ongoing developments in QQI, award names and content are subject to change.
Higher Education Links Scheme
BA in Interior Design (DT544)
Dublin Institute of Technology
BA in Product Design Innovation (CW728)
Institute of Technology Carlow
BA in 3D Design, Model Making and Digital Art (DL828)
Dún Laoghaire Institute of Art Design and Technology
BSc in Furniture Design and Manufacture (GA981)
BSc in Furniture and Wood Technology (GA982)
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
For details of the above and all other progression routes to the Institutes of Technology and the Universities visit www.cao.ie and www.qqi.ie or contact the Admissions Office of the relevant Higher Education Institution.
Successful completion of this course can lead to employment/self-employment opportunities in Musical Instrument Repair and Technology.